RE: Loose cable?

Subject: RE: Loose cable?
From: John Hedtke <john -at- hedtke -dot- com>
To: "Cardimon, Craig" <ccardimon -at- M-S-G -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 12:46:40 -0800

Very easy.

Ummmm, lessee:

1. Power down the computer.
2. Unplug the power cable from the back of the computer. (Failure
to do so can result in you never completing the remainder of this procedure.)
3. Carefully unplug the other cables from the back of the
computer. If you're not familiar with this, make a note of where
everything goes. Labels on the cables are not a bad idea,
honestly. You can write on the computer chassis with a pencil or
fine-point marker.
4. Open the computer case. There are a number of different case
designs, but chances are good that you'll undo 6 screws in the back
and then gently lift an inverted U hood of metal off the computer (if
it's a tower) or a lifting a large cover of metal (if it's a desktop
style). In both cases, you usually pull up and to the back.
5. If there are large gobs of dust--and there may be--lift them out
and throw them away. You can blow out really bad blobs of dust
(expect to sneeze).
*Note* if you pause in this at any time, be sure to ground
yourself when you resume by touching something metal and grounded
that's not the computer such as the metal on a power strip or the
center screw in an electrical socket; anything that you cna reach
from the computer and will take any static you've got.
6. Start by reseating the DVD data cable. This is a large flat
ribbon cable about 2 inches wide connected to the back of the
DVD. Put two fingers on the back of the black cable end and gently
but firmly rock back and forth with your fingers to press it further
into the DVD. Repeat this process with the other end of the cable,
which will probably be connected to the motherboard.
*Caution* -- do not press hard enough to bend the motherboard as
you may crack it, which will require you to get a new motherboard, an
expensive process.
7. With the same two-finger, gently-but-firmly technique, press down
on the tops of each of the cards you see sticking out of sockets on
the motherboard. You'll probably feel them "seat" slightly. This is
normal: cards will usually creep out of the sockets a bit over time
due to thermal expansion/contraction.
8. With everything reseated, carefully replace the cover. Be alert
for stray cables that are sticking out and may get caught when you
slide the cover back on.
9. Screw the cover back on.
10. Reattach all the cables, with the power cable being last.
11. Reboot the computer.

If this doesn't work, then there's more to the problem than a loose
cable and it's time to go to the mfr's website and check out DVD
error messages.

Okay, everyone, this is off the top of my head. What steps did I leave out?

Yours truly,

John Hedtke
Author/Consultant/Contract Writer
www.hedtke.com <-- website
Region 7 Director, STC
541-685-5000 (office landline)
541-554-2189 (cell)
john -at- hedtke -dot- com (primary email)
johnhedtke -at- aol -dot- com (secondary email)

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList