RE: OT: Banjo playing tech writer vs. professionalism :)

Subject: RE: OT: Banjo playing tech writer vs. professionalism :)
From: "Al Geist" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "'Dana Worley'" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 14:15:46 -0500

Dana Worley wrote:

"So if you can't carry the proverbial tune in a bucket or play a mean banjo,
do you have creative talent elsewhere? And, how does that help you in your
technical writing?"

I write User Guides, Service Manuals, Site Preparation Docs and virtually
everything in between in addition to managing a technical publications
group. My true loves are photography and music; however, I learned long ago
that there was no way people would pay to hear me play or sing, and there
were too many starving photographers living in the San Francisco area at the
time. I did have a knack for writing and I have a technical background
(started repairing tube radios in my Dad's part-time TV/Radio repair shop
when I was 11).

One of the great things about having interests is something other than
technical writing is it helps give you a different perspective on your end
product, and it helps you cleanse your mind at the end of a long day (week,
month....). I've found that a photographic weekend is refreshing and that
when deadline stress brings on a mind freeze, a few licks on the old guitar
tends to warm things back up again.

Al Geist
Technical Writing, Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design and Award Winning
Videos
Voice/Msg: 802-872-9190
Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com
office and beautiful note cards for all occasions.)

" ... I walked to work, quit my job, and kept walking. Better to be a
pilgrim without a destination, I figured, than to cross the wrong threshold
every day." (Anon)

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList