RE: Framemaker and RoboHelp

Subject: RE: Framemaker and RoboHelp
From: "Pamela Denchfield" <PamelaD -at- onyx -dot- com>
To: "Jay Maechtlen" <techwriter -at- covad -dot- net>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 07:12:20 -0800

Jay Maechtlen wrote:
>>The only germane part of the review
>>"RoboHelp and FrameMaker are still two separate tools with different
>>features and user interfaces. While the import of content is improving
>>from FrameMaker to RoboHelp, the content is still pushed from
FrameMaker
>>to RoboHelp rather than allowing for shared content that is managed at
>>higher project level or two-way product integration (pushing content
>>from RobHelp to FrameMaker). Tighter integration in the
>>future-especially the potential for content sharing-is probably the
>>single greatest potential that Adobe RoboHelp has in the marketplace
>>right now."

>>hammers home the fact that you author in Frame and push content where
>>you need it.
>>The review doesn't say to publish printed stuff from RH!
>>Unless you have a lot of content in RH, what's the problem?
>>If you do, unless it is real fancy, you can get it into Frame one way
or
>>another- if only via Word.

Absolutely - you don't have to print from RoboHelp in a "suite" (TC3)
workshop. My earlier message made incorrect assumptions. Thank you for
the correction.

You make an important point about pushing content from FrameMaker to
where you need it. TC3 does not sound like a true single-sourcing
solution unless the suite's new FrameMaker includes methods for adding
Help-only functionality (context-sensitive help links, glossary...?). If
my team decided to use TC3, I'd look real hard at what we'd have to do
to the content after we got it into RoboHelp, and how we could manage
those differences when pushing updated content from FrameMaker to the
now-modified RoboHelp files.

Pamela

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList