Re: MS Word 2003 - Working without a template

Subject: Re: MS Word 2003 - Working without a template
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 16:26:39 -0800

It's not clear to me from Sylvia's original post that she is the
"boss" in this situation. Given her uncertainty as to who is
supposed to set writer priorities, I tend to hope for her sake
that she is not. But if she is, then it most certainly is her
place to complain if she asked the contractor for a "simple
template" and the contractor is consuming time on template
"nice to haves" that don't advance the document team effort,
even if they do produce "extra productivity for himself."

And any way you look at it, a year is a helluva long time to
be "developing" a template if a first release of it has yet
to be incorporated into the document process. If the person
doing all the template work is primarily doing that and just
a bit of editing, formatting and "interviewing" while Sylvia
has been doing the bulk of the actual research and writing,
it may be necessary to consider whether all this extended
template development effort is being used to mask the other
writer's unwillingness or inability to do the rest of the work,
and whether Sylvia and her company might be better off
with a new contractor.

Gene Kim-Eng

Management is fun. Really, it is.