Re: Overtime rules

Subject: Re: Overtime rules
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: Keith Hansen <KRH -at- weiland-wfg -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 17:29:30 -0800

Keith Hansen wrote:
> Lauren wrote:
>
> <<First off, you seem to have contradicted yourself. If this is an
> "at-will" state, then a termination based on performance...>
>
> Good summary, Lauren. Not having been in comparable situations, I don't
> have much personal experience with this (thankfully). So your comments
> are instructive (for me, at least)!

Still, I've seen at-will employers whose HR reps assured departing
laid-off employees that they would not be eligible for unemployment
benefits. They can be devoutly mis-guided. Know your rights,

I remember one HR rep who told me it was company policy to steer
lay-offs away from unemployment benefits because the company's required
contribution to the Unemployment system, which actually amounts to some
small fraction of the employee's wage, would increase if their
ex-employees claimed unemployment benefits. Ha ha. What's the next step
beyond devoutly misguided--delusional?

Why do they get so jacked up to undermine the unemployment system that
made it possible for them to employ so many professional temps in the
first place? It is baffling to me. Maybe it's the next step in the
masterplan to recast free enterprise as feudal enterprise. Watch for
recruiter emails with subject lines like "Serf's Up!" to know if that
piratic ploy has come to pass.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList