Re: International standards for caveats

Subject: Re: International standards for caveats
From: Janice Gelb <Janice -dot- Gelb -at- Sun -dot- COM>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 13:01:58 +1100

Ronald Schwarz wrote:

> Can someone please remind me of the international standards governing
> the use of caveats in user documentation? I need both the standards and
> the content. The standards can include engineering standards. For
> example, when can we use Note, Information, Warning, or Caution? The
> type of warning and the icon that accompanies it are what I need.

The standards usually deal with hardware situations where
bodily injury can result. We no longer use Warning at all
due to an agreement with some regulatory bodies. Here are
the citations from an older email I found in case they help.

"The "Markings and instructions." section of IEC 950,
UL 1950 and EN60950, Section 7, in particular Section
1.7.2 "Safety Instructions" contain the requirements for
precautions. In addtion the international standards for
markings and symbols, IEC 417 and ISO 7000 contain
additional information."

If you're dealing with software rather than hardware, I
think that it's more a matter of common industry practice
rather than regulatory standards.

-- Janice

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with
janice -dot- gelb -at- sun -dot- com | this message is the return address

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList