RE: Framemaker question

Subject: RE: Framemaker question
From: "Martinek, Carla" <CMartinek -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: "Damien Braniff" <Damien -dot- Braniff -at- asg -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 08:50:22 -0600

-----Original Message-----
Currently updating docs and using change bars to highlight where the
changes have been made and what I'd like to know is there any way of
'staging' the change bars (or something similar). To hopefully explain!

Docs going to QA (starting unit testing) and they'll have change bars
showing the new stuff.

More changes to come so I'd like the next version to differentiate
between original changes and new changes to make it easier for QA.

Is this possible at all?

======================================

I'm not aware of any way to customize the change bars in the way you
want, but perhaps this would be a FrameScript option. I'm copying Rick
Quatro on this -- he's one of the FrameScript gurus. If he has an
answer, he'll respond.

For quick and simple and if you need it NOW, I would use conditional
text to indicate the newer text. For the older text, use one condition
tag and color indicator, and for the newer text, use a diffent condition
tag and color. I would apply the first condition to the existing content
that has change bars. Then I would clear change bars, and add the new
content. This time apply a second condition to the new content with
change bars.

If you're using Frame8, it offers a Track Text Edits feature that uses
conditional text to indicate added/deleted content. (Shows very similar
to what MS Word's Track Changes option does.) There's a FrameScript you
could run that would change content from the default Track conditional
text format name (FM8_TRACK_CHANGES_DELETED, FM8_TRACK_CHANGES_ADDED)
into another named format (such as DELETED_Feb_2008 or ADDED_Feb_2008)
as you went through different iterations of changes. Caveat: should you
choose to use this script, I found in my test that you have to close the
file and then reopen it after coverting the conditional text name,
otherwise you'll get an error. Now that I think about it, the script
could probably be modified to do that action for you, too.

-Carla

- CONFIDENTIAL-
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may also be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, use, copy, or distribute this message. If you receive this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email and then delete this email.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList