Re: Writers job description/definition

Subject: Re: Writers job description/definition
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 08:19:28 -0800

This is a generic job description template that I have used with
appropriate customizations and updates for the past 10 years
or so. It reflects my minimum requirements for a senior level
technical writer (the only level that I hire).

Gene Kim-Eng

Job Description

<Company name> is seeking a Senior Technical Writer with a
history of successfully developing <product type> user,
service and other documentation.

Our technical writers:

. Are involved in all aspects of creating internal and
external customer documentation in support of existing
products as well as new products for the entire product
life cycle.

. Work closely with design engineers during development
of products to help define and evaluate hardware and
software user interfaces that will make sense to customers.

. Create other technical documentation to support the
product development process.

. Work with minimal support services available and under
minimal supervision.

Duties

. Create appropriately targeted user documentation for new
<Name> products.

. Update and improve documentation for existing products
over their lifespans, based on product changes resulting
from ECO or other processes.

. Collaborate with product development teams during the
design phase to improve user experience with the product
by helping to develop the user interface, representing the
concerns of the user and reporting product issues (bugs).

. Interview Engineering, Marketing, Customer Service,
Quality and Manufacturing to understand their requirements
and then develop user and service manuals for <Company
Name's> <Product Name> product lines.

. Evaluate on a regular basis the performance of user
and service manuals to improve their effectiveness for
their targeted users.

. Assist in creating white papers and other technical
documents required for the dissemination of new product
information to readers outside of the engineering team
or company.

. May direct and assist the work of other employees
or outside contractors in a lead capacity.

. Other responsibilities as assigned.

Qualifications

. Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
Engineering or science degree preferred.

. A minimum of five years of successful professional
experience developing technical documentation in an
<product technology> manufacturing organization.

. Experience writing technical manuals for use by third
party installers and OEM customers.

. Experience in product development, testing, training
or service a plus.

. Ability to understand complex <product type>
devices, including their functions, installation,
operation and troubleshooting

. Ability to present complex information in formats
that are easy for targeted readers to understand.

. Ability to take the lead in researching,
documenting and communicating complex process and
technical issues, explanations or instructions to
audiences with different levels of technical background,
in support of a continually improving user experience.

. Ability to create and maintain a detailed project
plan, given general requirements and goals.

. Ability to successfully create, maintain and work
to a schedule.

. Intermediate to advanced user of typical desktop
publishing tools (Adobe FrameMaker, Illustrator,
PhotoShop, Acrobat or equivalent).

. Proficiency with typical business and tools (Word,
Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Project or equivalent).

. Good verbal and written presentation skills.

. May occaisionally need to work non-standard hours
in support of a global business environment.