Seq field solution <SOLVED>

Subject: Seq field solution <SOLVED>
From: jopakent -at- comcast -dot- net
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com (TECHWR)
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 19:49:23 +0000

I took this offline while we worked out the solution. I'm posting this follow-up in case others encounter similar difficulties. Fred and Dan were most helpful in helping me to come up with a solution

Thanks to our combined efforts I've now got a working document with numbered headings, figures, and tables WITHOUT the abominable plague of Word's auto numbering nightmare.

GRINS!

JPK

Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 11:26:57 -0600
From: kentjp -at- parnuclear -dot- westinghouse -dot- com
To: DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com
CC: docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com
Thanks Dan,
I'm just trying this and guess I've got a bit of mud stuck in my brain this morning. I tried inserting a caption and choosing the figure and table label options and then clicking Numbering and selecting Include chapter number.

Of course that didn't work because that mechanism relies on the (now blessfully nuked) autonumbering characteristics associated with my headings styles. So next I tried:
Figure {AUTONUMLGL }

and that produced pretty much what you've described. So when I insert a figure in section 1.3.1 using the autonumlgl field I get Figure 1.3.1.1. I've not handled figure numbering that way before so it seems a little odd. I'm accustomed to just Figure 1-1, 1-2, etc. I'm thinking that I can probably get that by defining regular SEQ fields for Figures and Tables. As noted yesterday, I've not had very good luck with those so far.

It seems like I need to first define a SEQ for Chapters and then separate SEQs for Tables and Figures.

Figure 1-1 would then look like:

Figure {SEQ Chapt }-{SEQ FIG \n}

But that produces Figure 1-1. Figure 2-2, Figure 3-2. I guess I could reset the Chapt SEQ back to "1" each time, but at that point, I don't see the automation savings. Seems like the chapter number might be better to just type in explicitly. Am I missing something?

Regards,

From: "Dan Goldstein" <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>

--
J. Paul Kent