RE: Style Guides

Subject: RE: Style Guides
From: "Suzanne Chiles" <suzchiles -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "'Christina Dubach'" <christinadubach -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 13:17:23 -0700

Christina,

It's hard to say without knowing more about your company and your duties,
but I'll throw out some general advice:

If you're documenting software that runs on Microsoft Windows systems, I'd
definitely go with the Microsoft Manual of Style for that.

For general writing: reports, processes, general training materials and so
forth, the Chicago Manual of Style should cover anything and everything that
might come up, as well as many, many issues that the MMOS doesn't cover.
MMOS is a style guide for writing about software; it sounds like you'll be
doing other types of writing as well and CMOS is, in my opinion anyway, the
gold standard.

Good luck with your new job and congratulations on your graduation!

Suzanne

> I graduate with a BA in technical communication in two months. I have a
job
> preparing a small finance company (around 100 employees) for their first
SAS

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList