The Best FrameMaker-Based Single Sourcing Solution

Subject: The Best FrameMaker-Based Single Sourcing Solution
From: mbarwick -at- invatron -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 15:27:27 -0400

Greetings TECHWR-Lers!

At my software company have charged me with the task of determining the
right single-sourcing solution for product documentation. The requirement
is for delivery by PDFs and online help. Most of the existing
documentation is in FrameMaker and in that authoring environment I'd like
to stay as the version of Microsoft Office we are using is so archaic, I'd
blush bright red for all to see if I told you what it is.

So I need to single-source in Frame but the question is with what to build
the online help?

I've looked into Quadralay's ePublisher. I have a colleague outside my
company who is working with an earlier than current version of it who says
its great. Alas, the quote I got from the company was larger than
anticipated (nearly 2K). I'd need good reasons to justify such an
expenditure.

Half as expensive is the other option I'm considering: Adobe's Technical
Communication Suite (TCS). Preliminary research has revealed though that
some claim it's not a true single-source solution (tweaks in RoboHelp
apparently don't find their way back to the FrameMaker files) and one
reference to severe restrictions if creating help from FrameMaker (but no
details as to what those restrictions might be). It's still so new that
there's not a lot written about it yet.

I've looked at other online help tools such as Flare but they really want
you to single-source in within their own environment rather than an
external one such as FrameMaker even if they will import FrameMaker files.

Here are my questions for those writers whose needs are similar to mine:

For those using Frame with ePublisher: is it great? Tell me why it works
for you and how I can justify its enormous price to my manager.

For those using Adobe's TCS: Can you do everything you need to do with it?
Are FrameMaker and RoboHelp greater than the sum of their parts?

For those with other Frame-based solutions, I'm all ears. Tell me what is
working for you.

Thank you for your attention! I look forward to your responses.

Regards,

Michael Barwick
Sr. Information Developer
Invatron Systems Corp.