Re: Seeking recommendations: LAMP books, tutorials, etc.

Subject: Re: Seeking recommendations: LAMP books, tutorials, etc.
From: "Richard Smith" <radvas -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 10:18:08 -0700

Hi Kate,

First off, I usually associate the "P" in LAMP with PHP, not perl. Though it
could well mean both. Are you definitely using perl and not PHP?

Second, LAMP is a means to an end; that is a framework within which one
could develop a web application. I'd focus more on what the goal is rather
than the environment. Think of it like this... if you wanted to write a
tecnhical manual for sailing, you wouldn't focus on the tecnhologies of
water, wind, and nylon.

Third, letter by letter, Linux, Apache, mySQL, and (PHP|Perl|Pear..) are
each as complex or involved as you want them to be.

Linux is a complex subject that in the context of building a web application
or framework, you can almost completely ignore. You don't need to know a lot
about Linux to make a web app function since the web app code should (in
theory) execute on the server and be reasonably abstracted so that it runs
on a variety of server-host-OSes and versions. If you do need something, the
linux documentation project is a good start.

Apache: I think there is no better way to learn Apache than by doing. It's a
fairly straightforward application with a fairly narrow functional purpose.
You can get an apache server running in very short order, and withing a few
days of tinkering with modules, virtual hosts, and configs, you'll
practically be an expert. The apache website has excellent documentation.

mySQL is a bit more involved because there are two layers: you need to
understand relational database servers and SQL, then you need to understand
implementation details and commands for mySQL. I have a book at home that
covers both pretty well. It's a bit dated, and I don't recall the title &
author, but I'll post up later today when I get home.

The "P"... there are many good documents available, but it heavily depends
on which "P" you are really after. The Perl Cookbook is also very useful if
your P is Perl. I'm not keyed into PHP enough to recommend anything.

--
Richard S.

From: "Kate Kembel" <kate -dot- kembel -at- gmail -dot- com>

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList