Re: suggestions on how to "hide" UI-based topics in online Help TOC?

Subject: Re: suggestions on how to "hide" UI-based topics in online Help TOC?
From: Sue McKinney <smckinn2001 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com, Donna Barbieri <deebeema -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 12:38:43 -0700 (PDT)

I agree with Bill Swallow's suggestion to leave the UI topics in as the context-sensitive anchor points for the Help. I would then just name them by the interface name, e.g., XYZ Page. I usually put "see also" links AND "related procedures" links at the bottom of interface help topics. As Bill said, multiple procedures may be able to be performed in the interface; this way all the users are covered. Then the procedure topics can be named very specifically, e.g., Add an ABC to the XYZ.

My TOCs have generally included all topics, sectioned as follows:

Introductory topics (for system)
Module/Interface 1
Interface topic
Accessing Interface topic
Subinterface topics (as needed)
Module/Interface procedures
Module/Interface 2
Interface topic
Accessing Interface topic
Subinterface topics (as needed)
Module/Interface Procedures

You can also put all the procedures in one section, unless there are too many. My system had multiple modules, so each module had intro, each interface and related, and a procedures "chapter" with an intro topic listing the procedures and all the procedures in alpha order. That way the users can look at the interface topics and see related procedures or go directly to the procedures.

Good luck!
Sue

Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:
I really had trouble following your post, but as a suggestion, leave
the UI specific topics in, leave them as the context-sensitive anchor
points for the Help, and build in procedural information to which you
link from the UI topics. This way if one UI screen can be used by
users for 5 purposes, they get to that one UI topic and from there can
choose in the help what they're doing for more targeted info.

--
Bill Swallow
Senior Member STC, TechValley Chapter

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as smckinn2001 -at- yahoo -dot- com -dot-

or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/smckinn2001%40yahoo.com

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList