RE: Signing off for a few weeks

Subject: RE: Signing off for a few weeks
From: "Lauren" <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: "'Dori Green'" <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 13:05:27 -0700

> From: Dori Green

> Hello, All!
>
> Just a quick note to say I'm signing off for a few weeks to have some
> surgery and spend some time offline while I recuperate and
> rehabilitate.
> Play nice while I'm gone!

No! And we're going to spam you, too.

Okay, maybe not. Good luck with your surgery. I do have a suggestion with
a story, however.

I had surgery last March and I was a daily coffee drinker. I told the
anesthesiologist that I wanted something to keep me from getting a headache
from caffeine withdrawals. I was put under at noon and woke up at 5 PM.
The surgery was only 90 minutes but it takes awhile to wake up.

I remember feeling marvelous, but with a little pain that I didn't care
about. I had mentioned to the nurses when I checked in that I couldn't be
near any smokers as I was very allergic to them. I was put in a room and I
smelled smokers, so I complained to the nurse about it. Apparently I was
loud and my neighbor yelled at me through her curtain. One of her visitors,
probably her son, also yelled at me. My family was silent and confused.

My neighbor had the TV remote and was flipping through stations. Judge Judy
was on, "I like Judge Judy," I said. "I hate Judge Judy," she yelled back
and then she switched the channel to Seinfeld. Nurses came in and promptly
moved me to a room without a roommate. Around 11:00 PM, I was moved again.
The nurse said that they had some people coming up from the ER and they
didn't want me to be disturbed so they were going to move me down the hall.
"You're going to leave me in the hallway?" I asked. "No. We're moving you
to a private room."

I found out at that my anesthesiologist put caffeine in with my morphine to
keep me from having a headache. Yay. I wish that I had the anti-nausea
patch, too, so that I could continue the morphine for a little while longer.
That was fun.

For what ever reason, I quit drinking coffee everyday after that and now I
just have white tea in the morning.

So for surgery recovery, I recommend morphine with caffeine and anti-nausea
medication. Be annoying to get a private room at no extra charge. And keep
a positive attitude. Surgery is not a vacation, but it doesn't need to be
*that* miserable.

Lauren

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList