Re: active vs. passive voice

Subject: Re: active vs. passive voice
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 20:04:34 -0700

Combs, Richard wrote:
> Ned Bedinger wrote:
>
>> If I set up a display(n) of my wares at the Saturday flea
>> market, I can also say (and be generally understood) that my
>> wares are displayed(v,i) at the flea market. This usage and
>> construction sounds right to my ear, and is just too commonly
>> encountered to be a big dumb mistake made with a transitive
>> verb. English (the living language) seems to allow it.
>
> Actually, it's _correct_ usage of a transitive verb. In the phrase "my
> wares are displayed," the actor is omitted (passive voice) and "my
> wares" is the _object_ of the action.
>
> R.S.V.P. c/o
>
> Richard

Richard,

Alas and alack, I must note with regret, and in uncommon haste, that the
time is now gone (along with my lawn), when I saw myself set to
undermine the transitive bulwark (and it grows further yet).

With the moon and such stars! growing brighter still, I don't really
find this such a bitter pill. Like good wine that has gone off in taste,
it's just as well, considering my haste.

May I ask a small favor? Please pass this along: Words can speak for
themselves, they've a life of their own. Just leave them speak, or leave
them to the bard, lest you too reach escape velocity when hoist with
your own petard.

Having fun,

Ned "I can see my house from here!"

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList