RE: Significance of Document Numbering?

Subject: RE: Significance of Document Numbering?
From: "Leonard C. Porrello" <Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- SoleraTec -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l List" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 08:19:55 -0700

Michael Ronquillo asked:
>But what if there is an update to that guide? How do you document a
>change in the document that is re-released for that software?

The date/time stamp enables me to tell one iteration from another.
Because the date/time stamp is a variable, I need to make manual changes
to the doc control number only when we release a new build. I should add
that I currently do not work in a regulated industry. When I was writing
about cellular telephony servers, I used a scheme similar to the one you
suggest.

Leonard C. Porrello
SoleraTec LLC
www.soleratec.com