Re: Print manuals - keep or drop

Subject: Re: Print manuals - keep or drop
From: "Parcell, Michelle" <Michelle_Parcell -at- G1 -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 13:28:11 -0400

David,

We adopted the no-print rule some time ago but gave customers the option
to purchase printed guides at their expense (and no small expense at
that). We sell software that often costs in the hundreds of thousands of
dollars, so you would think we would have no problem offering (and
customers would expect) printed documentation. However, to my knowledge
(and we recently asked our fulfillment department about this), no one
has ever ordered printed documentation at a cost, and again, to my
knowledge, we have had no negative feedback from customers about this.
As someone else commented, Tech Support was very unhappy with this
change, but to our surprise, I don't think it's really caused much of a
problem. We even have a Feedback Button in our PDFs that allows
customers to e-mail comments on anything they wish. Of course, this
button is ideally used to refer to a particular piece of documentation
this is incorrect or unclear, but I'm sure if customers felt strongly
about receiving only PDFs they would use it to let us know.

Good luck!

Michelle Parcell

Senior Technical Writer

Pitney Bowes Software

NOTICE: This E-mail may contain confidential information. If you are not
the addressee or the intended recipient please do not read this E-mail
and please immediately delete this e-mail message and any attachments
from your workstation or network mail system. If you are the addressee
or the intended recipient and you save or print a copy of this E-mail,
please place it in an appropriate file, depending on whether
confidential information is contained in the message.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList