RE: Version Control - Dates & Versions in File Names

Subject: RE: Version Control - Dates & Versions in File Names
From: "kelly keck" <kelly -dot- keck -at- imagine-one -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 07:28:42 -0500

Jessica suggested:

>Use a document property for the date and another for the version
number,
>and show the doc properties in fields on the title page or inside title
>or another suitable location. Then you can use the version control
>system without messing around and updating files.

>You do have to remember to update the fields before you print, but
>that's life.

Perfect. Especially since I use enough fields that I have Word set to
update them all any time it prints. I've noticed that that feature
doesn't seem to work if anything in the field has been flagged by the
grammar or spelling checker, but, like you said, that's life.
(Fortunately, neither a date nor a version number is likely to annoy
Word's spell check.)

Thanks to everyone who responded with suggestions. I had an inclination
that the version numbers and dates were overkill (a relic from the
project where those *were* our version control), but confirmation, as
well as suggestions of alternate places to put that information, is a
nice thing.

Kelly

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList