RE: Collaborative tool for Readme writing

Subject: RE: Collaborative tool for Readme writing
From: "Robert Partridge" <Robert -dot- Partridge -at- citect -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l List" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 11:38:31 +1000

We too use Bugzilla to track bugs with our product and our release notes
are based around an export from that. No, my issue is usually with the
Readme. Release notes, being mainly a list of bugs fixed since last
release is fairly straightforward. I have to add a header, put it into
the right format and the inevitable cleanup of spelling and grammar, but
they at least don't usually change. No, it's the readme that's the
issue. Outstanding bugs, restrictions and limitations, install info,
licensing issues, new features. A whole range of stuff that needs input
from developers, marketeers, managers, etc.

My first thought was a wiki type of thing, but wasn't sure how well it
would track changes or whether the final version can be easily captured
for our build. I'm hoping to make my role in the production process
redundant :) Does anyone have any direct experience they can share of
using a wiki for Readme type files?

You're right, sharepoint would be over the top for what is basically a
simple HTML file. Since we work in Flare, I might also look at the new
X-Edit Express to create these things. Anyone looked at that tool yet?

Rob

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList