RE: Writing Corrective Actions for customers?

Subject: RE: Writing Corrective Actions for customers?
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "Michael West" <WestM -at- conwag -dot- com>, "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:45:41 -0600

Michael West wrote:

> I just find this attitude incomprehensible.
>
> A tech communicator has been asked to perform a
> straightforward tech communications task, and other tech
> communicators are crying "foul!"
<snip>

Gene Kim-Eng wrote:

> I'm not going to address the remainder of your post, since
> you seemed to think my last comment was sarcasm. It was not.
> I was entirely serious.
> If a writer reporting to me on staff refused an assignment to
> provide technical writing support to another department
> because the work "should rightly fall to a different job
> description," that writer would be starting down the road to
> not working for me anymore. A contractor who responded the
> same way would already have reached that destination. I
> encourage people who work for me to express any concern they
> may have about their assignments, but they still need do them.

Thank you, gentlemen, for some badly-needed good sense. I was
astonished, catching up on this thread, to see responses to the OP
encouraging paranoid suspicion, uncooperativeness, and a
passive-aggressive "that's not my job" attitude. (And for a contractor,
even, not some union lout with job security!)

I not only wouldn't want someone with an attitude like that working
_for_ me, I wouldn't want them working _alongside_ me.

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer