RE: Bullfighter diagnosis on post (was Re: Writing Corrective Actionsfor customers?)

Subject: RE: Bullfighter diagnosis on post (was Re: Writing Corrective Actionsfor customers?)
From: "Leonard C. Porrello" <Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- SoleraTec -dot- com>
To: "Michael West" <WestM -at- conwag -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 09:45:54 -0700

Really, Mike, you don't like, "Where one gets off dumping on people..."?
I think it has a perfectly clear objective-correlative. Although I may
not share his sentiments and some of what he said may indeed qualify as
"blather" (albeit for reasons other than those you might think), I think
Ned's ("dumping") usage was perfectly clear and apropos. It was
certainly clearer (at least to me) than anything Eliot ever wrote. Of
course, I get Eliot. But I have to work at it.

I think you forget that conversational email (which, by the way, is what
wouldn't brook a mixed metaphor, I couldn't care less about typos, and I
appreciate any attempt to delight. Ned's invocation of "dumping" was
delightful. Correspondents to a technical writing forum by no means have
to write as if they are writing technical documents. I certainly don't!
The forum isn't a technical document or a resume. To the contrary, it's
precisely the place where we, collegial and convivial professionals that
we are, should be able to let our hair down, to write with a bit of
"bling", to write with something other than the transparent (albeit
hopefully poetic) blandness of the technical prose to which we are
constrained for most of our anonymous and relatively entombed
professional lives.

Perhaps "pissing-contest", as a metaphor, has a clearer
objective-correlative for you?

Leonard C. Porrello