Re: How do you manage changes to names

Subject: Re: How do you manage changes to names
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 12:50:55 -0400

Beth Agnew wrote:

> ... the only time I ever yelled at a product manager.
> ... voodoo doll instead

We once used a voodoo doll. It worked! The guy got hired away from us!!

Beth's suggestions are right on track. The product plan should cover
such contingencies. There IS a plan, isn't there?

One of the worst unplanned change situations, one that I've only seen
once, thank goodness, was when we were provided printed-out copy for the
tech manuals that went with the product belonging to the company's new
acquisition. Our writing manager was told, "It won't take more than a
couple of days to do a cut-and-paste, right?"

Our manager had to patiently explain to the fellow that he was actually
asking, "I have determined, without thinking, that it'll take you only
two days to find every instance of 'ABC Co.' and replace it with
'Long-Named Company, Inc.' in all the text and illustrations, even
though I've not supplied you any computer-readable copy at all."

We imagine that other departments had similar problems. I've forgotten
the final resolution, but I know I didn't have to work all night on it.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList