Re: How would you resond to this interviewer?

Subject: Re: How would you resond to this interviewer?
From: Janice Gelb <Janice -dot- Gelb -at- Sun -dot- COM>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 09:28:52 +1000

Karen wrote:
> I was in an interview the other day and began to show the interviewer my portfolio. I explained that I had to sanitize some of the documents due to confidentiality agreements and couldn't show some of the "meat" of these programs that were in alpha and beta stages. Her response was that it didn't matter since she wasn't interested in the content, she was only interested in the formatting. To that, I responded that a few of the documents had to conform to corporate standards that we had to follow.
>
> I haven't had to interview is so long and I think I suppressed my internal groan. This position really is about developing content where none exists--not just editing and formatting existing documentation.
>
> How would you have responded in this case? This is an extremely small company (less than 10 people) and she is leading the project so she knows what it the position really entails.

I'd probably have asked some very specific questions
about what the job responsibilities will be.

"You're mostly interested in the format? Will
formatting be a major part of the job requirements?
Could you estimate how much of the job would be
writing and how much formatting? Do you have a
corporate template for your documents?"

-- Janice

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with
janice -dot- gelb -at- sun -dot- com | this message is the return address

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList