RE: Searching remote servers in your own company

Subject: RE: Searching remote servers in your own company
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "Lauren" <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 16:07:04 -0400

Apparently a lot of fascinating research has been done and continues to
be done. People who are _very_ visual tend to dream mostly in color (or
report so if you wake them and ask them right away), but there's a lot
of variance.

One thing that happens in dreaming is focus. If you try to train
yourself to lucid dreaming, you might notice that:

If you have reason to care about color, the thing that you are looking
at will be in color, but stuff off to the side will have little or no
color (much like waking vision in low-light surroundings).

Similarly, if you are highly auditory, tending to perceive the world and
learn from it via your ears, then your report your dreams in terms of
the soundscape and barely remember the blur of color and shapes that
dressed up the sidelines of what you were hearing.

Other little things are rhubarb and greek-text and "broken" light
switches.
That is, if you are not highly auditory, then conversations tend to be
"telepathic" - you receive the meaning and just understand the person
to-have-spoken, but you weren't attending to individual audible words.
There's a sense of "talking-is-happening" but you don't necessarily hear
sounds (even pseudo-sound inside your head). Any background
conversations are like the crowd noise in theatre scenes or old radio
plays (everybody saying Rhubarbrhubarbrhubarb (or other produce) over
and over.... ok, it's not actually "rhubarb" in your dreams, just a
non-significant murmur).
If you see a newspaper or book in a dream and try to force yourself to
read it, it will keep slipping away. Not that you can't grasp the paper,
but unless (say) the headline is meaningful to the course of the dream,
you can't read any of the words on the page; it's all grey squiggles and
you can't keep your attention there long enough to resolve anything. If
there happens to be a light-switch on the wall, and you can force
yourself to flip it, little or nothing happens in the environment.
You're very unlikely to get the effect that switching on a light in the
waking world would produce.

Naturally there are plenty of exceptions, notably among people who are
very strongly visual (at the expense of other senses), very strongly
auditory (at the expense...), very strongly slanted toward the tactile
or proprioceptive sense. But then you already get a mirror of those
orientations in the speech of the person. You know, the old "I feel
that you mean" versus "I hear you saying" versus "I see what you're
saying"...

Here's an anecdote that's probably in the archives, but it sorta fits.
Years ago, my wife was teaching a first-jump (parachuting) course in
French, and all the eager little students (most of 'em actually were
acting students) were paying rapt attention, except for one guy who was
sprawled across a couple of chairs in the front row, with his head in a
girl's lap and his eyes closed. After a time, my wife was getting
annoyed at this, since the material was kinda life-and-death, and we
took it very seriously if somebody got hurt or killed on our watch. The
girl-friend -she of the lap - spoke up: Non-non! Il est auditif!

She was saying that her boyfriend learned by hearing, so listening with
his eyes closed was his best strategy. He did just fine on his first
jump.

We later had a class consisting of mostly stunt people, and they were an
even split between visualizers, who had to see things demonstrated and
drawn on the board, and physical learners who pretty much ignored the
class-room stuff and wanted to rehearse everything physically. Again,
they all did fine. Very motivated bunch.

Kevin

or disclosing it.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList