Re: Adding "notes" pages to a reference manual?

Subject: Re: Adding "notes" pages to a reference manual?
From: hls_ut -at- comcast -dot- net
To: johnstonbrigitte -at- yahoo -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 00:46:03 +0000

Brigitte

If time permits, I suggest that you find out what the students prefer.
Personally, a reference manual with several blank, unnumbered
pages between chapters would seem a bit odd to me. If you are
forced to include them, I recommend a heading and page numbers
so that they seem thoughtful and for the purpose to be clear.

If the students in class already have and write in a workbook, I'd guess
that they would prefer for the notes pages to be in the workbook. It's
likely that the students will keep their own workbooks, whereas it may
be possible that they won't always have access to The Reference Manual.

For a Very Large Corporation, I've created Very Large Reference Manuals
for different products/systems/processes over many years. We never
included any notes pages as you describe. I never had visibility to
whether they were used in formal, facilitated training, though I did get
a few clues that they were referred to. Yay! The page designs typically
incorporated ample white space, and when new chapters had to start
on odd pages, we "intentionally left blank" even pages if a chapter
ended on an odd page.

More recently, I have created workbooks for classroom use. Students
used them for exercises and in facilitated note taking. Depending on
the lesson and on what other information was available to students in
class and on the job, I designed specific areas for students to write
specific information, and on other occasions we simply provided blank
pages. However, these blank pages had topic headings (task names
whenever possible) and page numbers, which made this "student
created" documentation accessible from the TOC. These workbooks
did refer to other resources when appropriate.

Good luck!

-- Heidi Liebl-Slabinski
hls_ut -at- comcast -dot- net

From: Brigitte Johnston <johnstonbrigitte -at- yahoo -dot- com>