Re: Business case for dual monitors

Subject: Re: Business case for dual monitors
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 09:28:35 -0700

They're not saving money if they're still buying CRTs..

According to the DOE, the average 19" CRT monitor consumes
between 20 and 30 watts at idle and between 75 and 150 watts
at full brightness. The average LCD monitor consumes under
5 watts at idle and between 40 and 75 watts when on (same
power at all brightness levels).

The last CRT monitor I owned (17") failed while still under the
manufacturer's 3-year warranty, but because it was more than
one year old, I would have had to pay shipping to manufacturer's
service center. Quote from UPS for ground: $125. Quote to
ground ship a 19" LCD monitor in its original box weighing
about 20 lbs: $15.

Mulitply the above by the number of monitors in the company.

I haven't had a new CRT monitor since 2004. The last three
companies I worked for were either at or phasing toward
100% LCD. I'm not even sure where I'd go to find a CRT
today; none of the computer suppliers we deal with carry
them anymore.

Gene Kim-Eng