Re: Definition of Tech Writer, was STC is broken

Subject: Re: Definition of Tech Writer, was STC is broken
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 07:47:44 -0700

I'm not contradicting your conclusion. I am contradicting your
assumptions. Business writing is "technical" writing in that it:

a) Requires specialized skills and knowledge

b) Uses terminology or treats subject matter in a manner
specific to a particular field

c) Produces documentation that must meet specific rules
and requirements

d) (Finally, the reason that trumps all others) it is performed
by professionals who are frequently employed under the
title of "technical writer."

None of the goals or methods offered by any of the
because for each you can find someone who is doing
the work in an environment or in a manner that runs
counter to the way the person who posted them thinks
they should be done.

Ultimately, the definition of "technical writer" is set not by
the opinions of those who work in the profession, the STC
or the DOL, but by those who hire them and for whom
they work. If you are producing documents for me and
your title is "technical writer," then you are a technical writer.
The particular type of documents you are working on
and the particular skills and knowledge that convinced
me you were qualified to do them does not determine that,
nor does the opinion of anyone else, and I will butt heads
with anyone who tries to tell you that you don't deserve the
title until the cows come home.

Gene Kim-Eng