Re: Definition of Tech Writer, was STC is broken

Subject: Re: Definition of Tech Writer, was STC is broken
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 00:14:40 -0700

With the necessary education and experience, yes. Technical
writers are frequently assigned prepare legal documents such
as warranty statements and contract proposals, with lawyers
as SME's, whether you think it's true or not.

Technical writers perform whatever type of complex, highly
specialized writing their training and experience qualifies them
to do. The range of writing tasks that can be described as
"generic technical writing" (those tasks that can be performed
by someone with no specialized training or experience beyond
a degree in English, journalism or "technical communications"
and some time on the job writing user manuals) is only a small
portion of the full range of work that can fall under the umbrella
of "technical writing," and you need some better reason than
the fact that you may not be qualified to do much of it to say
that it does not.

Gene Kim-Eng