RE: Definition of Tech Writer, was STC is broken

Subject: RE: Definition of Tech Writer, was STC is broken
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 18:24:01 -0400

I'm not speaking in any sense except the main categories of types of
writing. I think the changes within the subsets of technical writing aren't
relevant at this point.

If you agree that software documentation is different from manufacturing
process documentation, and that both are technical writing, then you are
basically agreeing that technical writing is the umbrella term for various
types of writing. You'd just have to view business writing as having the
same degree of specialized knowledge and view science writing, and legal
writing, in the same way. What makes something technical is that it involves
"skill" ("techno").

> An allegory could be the evolution of man. If we define man
> in the strict terms of Neanderthal man, then a discussion of
> man in civilization would follow a non-standard definition.

I'm sure you meant "analogy." However, there is late-breaking news on the
Neanderthal front you might want to check out.

> However, I would not hold any premise that business writing
> evolved from technical writing. I would, however, hold that
> technical writing evolved from written communication and
> non-technical writing evolved from written communication.
> Both forms of writing borrow from each other and each form of
> writing is distinct from the other.
>
> People here do not agree and seem to hold a technical writing
> supremacy ideology. Whatever.

You're certainly free to reject the most widely held definition of technical
writing if you like.

Bonnie Granat
http://www.GranatEdit.com

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList