Re: Making the Switch from Full Time to Freelance/Contract - Looking for Advice

Subject: Re: Making the Switch from Full Time to Freelance/Contract - Looking for Advice
From: "Chris Morton" <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Louise Kasemeier" <louisekasemeier -at- yahoo -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 10:13:55 -0600

Well, I'd get registered on Dice.com, Careerbuilder.com, and wherever else
people recommend. There are positions posted at the STC (STC.org) website,
with members getting first dibs. There are gigs posted on Craigslist, too.
Get your profile up on LinkedIn and complete it to the best of your ability;
get endorsements.

I've not had any success (yet) going directly to companies. Rather,
everything in the past eight years has come through agencies. It'll take you
a while, I think, to learn which are the good ones (there are an awful lot
of "awful lots"). I would think you'd get scooped up right away with DITA
and XML being hot buttons in today's market.

Jagdriver