Re: Sorry Guys, Ohly Headers Getting Though !!

Subject: Re: Sorry Guys, Ohly Headers Getting Though !!
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: imborn4fun -at- yahoo -dot- com
Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 10:15:51 -0700

<official>Somebody reported seeintg a white email distress flare in this
vicinity, is everything here alright, folks? </official>?

Rick, as I mentioned yesterday, you probably should not assume you have
any recourse within the company. Because you're a W-2 and an employee of
an agency, the HR department at your work location is not a resource.
Think about it: they have two managers, and managers are more difficult
and costly to replace than you are. I shouldn't say that, but I hope you
see the point. HR will take care of them first anyway, even if they were
willing to take up your complaint. Let the manager who's pulling for you
do the work within the system. Ask him or her to do so actively if they
are willing.

You have other fish to fry. Go see your agency, or your manager at the
agency if they actually manage their guys in the field, and put the good
spin on it--you know your manager might have called them already, but
let them see that you want to know more about the deal and how to win
the permanent poisition. You're hoping to get hired, you want to know
how the agency prefers to handle giving you up to a permanent position,
and if there is anything at this point that stands in the way of your
taking the job if offered, as far as the agency is concerned.

AFTER they've grasped the good news, and you haven't gotten bad news,
ask them to give you a reading on what they think about the sudden
eratic behavior of your current manager. Tell them what you want to
happen. Ask them what they think you should do.

See? They still have an interest in seeing it thru with you, but it
couldn't hurt, and can help your cause to bring them into focus as soon
as possible. They may be able to ameliorate the situation by providing a
new candidate to take over from you. If you want, as I suggested
yesterday, to praise the gods that keep this sort of situation under
control as much as they do, check w9ith your new manager and volunteer
to stay on and get your replacement up to speed. If that doesn't smooth
whatever ruffled feathers remain, consider bailing even more strongly.
Management can be a strange and mysterious place full of unseen forces
and management quantum spaces that give the illusion of individuality,
where there is only one team-spirited management in reality.

Good luck, dude. If it breaks bad on you, learn the lessons by asking
everyone for their analysis. Even the manager who is inscrutable--ask
him to explain what happened so that you'll know what to watch out for.
Ask him to be frank, assure him you'll be satisfied with his answer, He
should be frank (not necessarily fair), shake hands, and let it go. That
rides a lot easier than a grudge, for you, when future employers want to
know about past ones.

YMMV,

Ned Bedinger
doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com