RE: old school

Subject: RE: old school
From: John Hedtke <john -at- hedtke -dot- com>
To: "Tammy Van Boening" <Tammy -dot- VanBoening -at- healthlanguage -dot- com>, "AL Geist" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 08:41:15 -0700

"Oh, look, it's a record of the Beatles!" "Yeah, I've heard of
them!" --actual conversation between two 12-yo girls some years ago.

I share most of the experiences on Al's list. My ex and I bought an
honest-to-goodness IBM-brand PC with the 4.77MHz chip and all, though
we had a 10MB drive slapped into it as people would in them days
rather than paying for an XT. To Al's list, I would add working at
Microsoft before it went public when it was just a software company
that looked like it was doing well, documenting CP/M, MP/M, and
Northstar systems (and other things that ran the S-100 bus), 8"
diskettes, programming HP3000 Series III computers, and punching my
programs on cards using IBM 024/026 keypunches to feed to the IBM
1130 and IBM 1401. And before that, learning to program old IBM data
record machines with the plugboards and wires (which was actually a
lot of fun in its own way) and reading stack dumps for IBM 360
assembler code. Oh, and going to Reed College with Steve Jobs
(although I never really knew him there).

Yours truly,

John Hedtke
Author/Consultant/Contract Writer
www.hedtke.com <-- website
Region 7 Director, STC
541-685-5000 (office landline)
541-554-2189 (cell)
john -at- hedtke -dot- com (primary email)
johnhedtke -at- aol -dot- com (secondary email)

/