Re: Tech Writer Lawsuit

Subject: Re: Tech Writer Lawsuit
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 12:10:46 -0700

I did a quick lookup and found posted salaries for
current programming positions in Colorado from a
low of $66k to a high of $83k, with a median of
$77k.

A $72k salary in the Denver area is equivalent to
about $108k in Silicon Valley, which would not be
bad at all.

While average salaries for technical writers are
not too bad in most centers of tech employment,
the total number of job postings is still lower than
it was not too long ago, and outside the tech
centers things sound quite dismal. That inevitably
leads to discussions about certification, raising
the bar for education and training and various
other ways to thin out the herd.

Gene Kim-Eng