Re: Tech Writer Lawsuit

Subject: Re: Tech Writer Lawsuit
From: "Susan W Gallagher" <susanwg -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Collin Turner" <straylightsghost -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 14:45:21 -0700

<sigh> I was going to stay out of this discussion, but...

Yes, Utah is a relatively inexpensive place to live - I'm in San Diego and
my division's main office is in Foster City (just outside of San Francisco).
I stay here because I love it here - no need to make the best of it, it is
the best. <g> I don't suffer - silently or otherwise! (Well, unless you
count having to park the Mustang convertible in favor of the cross-over with
better gas mileage as suffering. On nice days, I sure do! <g>)

And I'm not afraid to speak up - but I *am* afraid of changes to the status
quo. I like being a salaried employee. I can walk my dog and eat my
breakfast while I wait for the traffic to clear before I leave for work. If
I need to work from home, I email my boss to let him know. I've never had to
keep track of my hours. And my pay is right up there with what the devs
make -- fairly common for an API writer position these days, at least in my
experience.

And the last time I was on a death-march-to-the-release schedule -- granted,
in the late 90s, so during boom days -- management was so appreciative it
landed me a $13k/yr raise, so would I hesitate doing it again or begrudge
the time? Nope, not me! There's a review about to happen - it's right around
the corner! <g>

Hourly, as a contractor? Been there. Done that. No thanks!
-Sue Gallagher

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList