RE: "Old School Article"

Subject: RE: "Old School Article"
From: "Nicola Harlow" <N -dot- Harlow -at- seamsltd -dot- com>
To: "Blount, Patricia A" <Patricia -dot- Blount -at- ca -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 10:40:44 +0100

Sorry if this is late...regretfully I'm a few days behind on my emails.

I'm enjoying this thread very much. I remember in 1988 being hauled up
in front of the English class because I'd done a newspaper article
project using some Word Processing software. Being a shy nerd, this did
not go down well!

Just one thing to Patty's email:

"I wonder if technology will ever reach the point where documenting
instructions is superfluous because the interface is just that
intuitive? "

I've often wondered that. Then I look at Word 2007, the fact that I had
to search the Internet to find out how to shut off predictive text on my
mobile (press #)because the instructions were woefully inadequate, and
all those other apps that we use on a regular basis.

Seems to me that as we advance with computing things get more
complex...if you want to actually *do* something meaningful. Perhaps
we'll see a two-tier system, with one-button applications for some, and
massively complex applications for those that 'do stuff'.

Mind you, just think of something like an MP3 player. Back, forward,
play, stop, pause, shuffle? Random? :) I think we humans like complexity
too much to ever get to total intuitive interfaces, there will always be
stuff that need describing. Perhaps help will just change to be
hyper-embedded, and our jobs will become fractured to write sentences
rather than documents.

My $4.98 worth (I did go on a bit!)

Nicola