Re: What do you guys think of STCs new definition for technicalwriter?

Subject: Re: What do you guys think of STCs new definition for technicalwriter?
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: Beth Agnew <beth -dot- agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 18:42:55 -0700

Beth Agnew wrote:
> I don't think the STC's problem is finding the right wording for
> the definition, it's figuring out what kind of an organization it is and
> what is it supposed to be doing for its membership. That question
> doesn't seem to have an answer yet.
> --Beth

Congratulations! That is one clean statement of the crisis. STC is its
*own* thing, and is currently seeking its identity. I would frankly note
that STC wants to survive while its traditional consituents branch and
branch again into new nedia, new content-delivery tech, new career
paths. STC feels there is some reason to do this on behalf of technical
communicators.

I really want to leave it at that, but I know more of the story where as
individual tech writers and communicators are concerned. In pursuit of
balance, I regretfully now express the dirty business:

STC and TC are umbrellas, but seem to mistake themselves for the literal
communicator trades. It may be the Asbergwer thing, with characteristic
focused interest ("Obsessive" is another way to look at it), but in any
case, for sure it harks to the Asberger's characteristic absence of some
basic well-socialized concepts, in this case 'yours' versus 'mine'.

Is STC's quest for identity hopelessly mired in disorder? Probably so,
but there are worse things, which I don't care to enumerate, thanks.

I feel foolish posting this like a comment to the STC ("they don't
listen"), but it isn't intended to be directed to Beth or any
individual. What I am trying to do is square up the relationship so it
isn't as wearing. [Disclaimer: This is my ionitiative, not a paid
commission from STC or anyone. And, I am not a member of the STC]

Here's my list of things STC can do to get square with the member
communicator trades and stay that way. It is rather obsessively focused.

1. Be satisfied with the role of umbrella organization. Think logistics
and support, not dominance and definition. Think training opportunities
for members, not marketing representations to industry. Cater to your
constituent communicator trades, and quit dragging us around like we're
chattel.

2,3... Grant independence to the communicator trades--stop equating,
implicitly or explicitly, STC with them. Stop messing with official DOL
definition of technical writer. Jeez, it already looks like a hostage
situation, bad for everyone if industry is looking. They'll see you
sticking me up for my trade, and then they'll picture themselves getting
robbed by professional tech writers too. "Sure, everyone knows tech
writers will cheerfully, skillfully gouge you, just ask anyone." Is
that what STC is trying to do for us? If not, then drop it and crusade
for your own "technical communicator" job description in the DOL list.

4,5.. GET A REAL STRONG GRIP on the prospect of being an umbrella
organization. Being an umbrella requires A DISCIPLINED COMMITMENT to
keeping your hands on the umbrella, to yourself! Until then, STC will
never be in any position to be an umbrella. If I know STC, that will
mean going back to stealing identities again. Want to just skip right to
that now? OK,toro! If at first you don't succeed, charge the red hankie
again...

Sangria, por favor.

Ned Bedinger, outsider
doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com