RE: Fun with Word

Subject: RE: Fun with Word
From: "Pinkham, Jim" <Jim -dot- Pinkham -at- voith -dot- com>
To: "Edwin Skau" <eddy -dot- skau -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 08:13:38 -0500

I agree with both Edwin and Geoff a bit. The unabashed Word bashing does
get tiresome. Yes, the program has it flaws and limitations, more
pronounced in our line of work, probably. But it remains a useful tool
for many. And, Geoff, in fairness, what tool in our box is fully free of
its own flaws and limitations? :) Sure we like to grouse now and then,
but half the battle is picking the right tool for a particular task.

Meanwhile, back at the topic....

When Lee first made his post and made clear (offline, sorry) that he's
interested in some Design Gallery-type backgrounds, borders, and similar
effects, I suggested Publisher might be a closer tool, if in his
arsenal. It's not, and there are no plans to buy new tools. That said, I
suggested there might be some creative ideas among the Word newsletter
templates at microsoft.com. Admittedly, Word is not an especially
friendly tool for doing newsletters, though it's possible. But adapting
from the templates for putting fancy borders and boxes around art,
charts, photos, and tables could provide some inspiration.

HTH. I suspect Lee would welcome other suggestions with examples and
ideas about how to dress up design elements in Word.

Jim