Re: One option for dealing with many postings on tech wr-l

Subject: Re: One option for dealing with many postings on tech wr-l
From: "Edgar D' Souza" <edgar -dot- b -dot- dsouza -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Mike Starr" <mikestarr-techwr-l -at- writestarr -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 15:46:56 +0530

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 1:15 AM, Mike Starr
<mikestarr-techwr-l -at- writestarr -dot- com> wrote:
> You know, I hear all the time how wonderful gmail is because it displays messages in threads. Most of the standard email clients have done that for years. You can do it in Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Live Mail Desktop and Mozilla Thunderbird to name a few. And with a traditional email client, you can have multiple email accounts. I currently use Thunderbird to access a dozen email accounts that I've set up for my various email lists. All of the emails from an individual list come into an email folder just for that list. And you don't need to wait for the server to display a message like you do with a web-based email service.

And if you back up your mailstore, you're backing up sometimes over a
gigabyte or two of mail that you perhaps don't really need to. And if
your hard disk goes west and you have no backup, your mail is gone -
whereas with Gmail, even if my PC bites the dust, I can waddle over to
another system and still log on to Gmail - my mail's still safe...
yes, one needs a Web connection... but you can have the best of both
worlds, actually, if you set up Gmail for POP with a thread-aware mail
client, and set it to NOT delete mails on the server after POPping.
That way, you get threading, offline mail, and a backup copy of your
mail too..

Cheers
Ed.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList