Re: [TECHWR-L-Chat] Display, Displays, or Appears

Subject: Re: [TECHWR-L-Chat] Display, Displays, or Appears
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: "Downing, David" <DavidDowning -at- Users -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 17:39:31 -0700

Downing, David wrote:
> From: Janice Gelb <Janice -dot- Gelb -at- Sun -dot- COM>
>
> We allow either one. However, I personally have never
> understood this whole "magic" thing related to the
> word "appears." The appearance is the direct result of
> an action taken by the reader so why do people feel it
> has the connotation of magic? You do x, and y appears.
> No incantation or wands needed.
>
> -- Janice
> --------------
> Your message implies that I'm, not the only person you ever encountered
> who feels that "appears" has a connotation of magic, and that makes me
> feel a little better, because now I don't have to feel like I'm crazy.
>
> You're right -- there's no reason the word SHOULD imply a supernatural
> occurrence, but I think there is a logical reason for the connotation.

cc: techwr-l-chat -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>

People and their word sense are like jack-in-the-boxes.

One tech writer here disliked the word 'training' because it called to
mind trained seals in the circus. :-)

The solution? Cope. Get over it. Words are polysemous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polysemy

My advice to anyone bogged down in the magical time sink is to join the
STC, where this kind of endless microscopic examination and revision
seem to serve some purpose (cp the definition of Technical Communicator
topic they sometimes do here). They have all kinds of sigs in which to
discuss this special stuff.

Please take any further techwr-l discussion of magical connotations to
the techwr-l OFF TOPIC CHAT list. You'll have to subscribe first:

Thanks,

Ned Bedinger
doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com