Re: Generation Y doesn't like paternal delivery of user ed?

Subject: Re: Generation Y doesn't like paternal delivery of user ed?
From: Keith Hood <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Techwr-L List <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 22:57:15 -0700 (PDT)

I know exactly what you mean. It's like that old story about the pianist who was a bad teacher because he was such a good player. He could show a beginner where to place the hands, but he couldn't *tell* the beginner, because the motions had become so automatic he no longer had to actively think about where his fingers went.

The more I write and the more I learn about the thing I'm documenting, the harder it gets to remember the difference between what I know and what a novice would know. To get around that, I hired a friend of mine who knows nothing about technical writing. She never uses the products I work with, so she knows nothing about them except what she sees in my documents. Sometimes I pay her a little to test-drive the docs, to see if they will meet the needs of someone brand new to the product. $20 here and there - it's well worth it and I can deduct it as a business expense.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList