Re: version control

Subject: Re: version control
From: "Lech Rzedzicki" <xchaotic -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 14:32:54 +0100

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 5:29 PM, Keith Hood <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:
> SVN works fine for a distributed contributing environment as long as everybody has good net access.

That's the exact kind of problems distributed SCMs like Git try to
address - even if you're offline, like on a plane, you can still
commit to your local repo and merge changes later on.
With centralized SCMs, people tend to hold off commits or work outside
of working copy, which may (or may not) cause merging and maintenance
nightmares.
This is from my coding experience. However documentation project seem
to have a lot less interdependecies and writers are less often found
working on the same document at the same time, so on average there
should be less problems.

Just remember to commit and update your local copies often and it all works ok.

Lech

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList