Re: Grammar question: where to find the document?

Subject: Re: Grammar question: where to find the document?
From: Odile Sullivan-Tarazi <odile -at- mindspring -dot- com>
To: SB <sylvia -dot- braunstein -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 08:31:46 -0700

What is the context? Is it a section head, a lead-in to a list,
something else? How are the parallel elements phrased?

What may be striking you as odd is the combination of "where" and
"to." You may be thinking of the prohibition against combining
"where" and "at" (as in, "where is it at?") because the "at" is
redundant. The question "where is it?" says it all. But I don't
think "where to find it" is incorrect. But the context will tell you
whether that is the best way to express the thought or whether there
is another, better way.

If you have a series of parallel elements each of which follows this
same style, the overall effect might be just fine.

To take a really simple example --

Where to find the document

How to use the document

But in a different textual context, it might be that another form
would work better. "Location of the document," "To locate the
document," "Locating the document," whatever.

Odile

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList