Re: Page break as local formatting permitted?

Subject: Re: Page break as local formatting permitted?
From: "Jonathan West" <jwest -at- mvps -dot- org>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 12:48:53 +0100

2008/6/25 SB <sylvia -dot- braunstein -at- gmail -dot- com>:
> There was this long thread about the best way to do a page break in MS Word
> (we are working with Word 2003).
>
> The new technical writer feels that it is permitted to do a page break
> "before" as part of a heading style but I told him that this is essentially
> local formatting and therefore, we should not use that. He said that at
> times, local formatting is permitted.
>
> What is the general opinion about this?

Well, it is permitted in as far as it is possible, unless you decide
that it should not be permitted in the context of your particular
documents.

There are three possible approaches here.

1. You don't insert manual pagination of any variety at any time.

2. where necessary, you insert manual page breaks.

3. Where necessary, you set the page break before paragraph property.

For longer & more complex documents, I suggest that you choose one of
those options, and apply it consistently. Thhn if you need to globally
remove all manual page breaks, it is easier to do so.

Unless you have a specific reason why #2 is better than #3 or vice
versa in the context of your documents, it is pretty much an arbitrary
choice.

> (I am using a page break + a paragraph mark formatted as a style called
> "tiny" solving the spacing problem at the top of the page. So far, this has
> been one of the best solutions. However, pagination is always an issue, no
> matter what).

Since you don't say what your spacing problem is, it isn't possible to
comment on the effectiveness of this approach. All I would point out
is that it seems on the face of it to be an unnecessarily complex
approach, and simple solutions usually work better

Regards
Jonathan West

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList