RE: Never lead with a graphic

Subject: RE: Never lead with a graphic
From: rebecca_hopkins -at- comcast -dot- net (Rebecca Hopkins)
To: "Tech Whirlers" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 21:15:48 +0000

Sean,

Check out http://www.mbta.com/uploadedFiles/Documents/Schedules_and_Maps/Bus/057map.pdf

The heading says "(T) Route 57 Watertown Yard - Kenmore Station via Newton Corner & Brighton Center". The words "bus" and "map" are never used, although there is a map and bus icon. The words are unnecessary if the graphics are understandable to your audience.

Of course, the document itself has to be in the right context - if you found a printout of this map in a trash can in Nigeria, you'd have the start of a novel, not a technical document.

I still have to figure out for myself it if goes to Packard's Corner, although that may be in the text schedule - which the MBTA in its wisdom has posted separately: http://www.mbta.com/uploadedFiles/Documents/Schedules_and_Maps/Bus/route057.pdf.
-----
Rebecca

From: "Sean Brierley" <sbrierley -at- Accu-Time -dot- com>