Re: data sheet or datasheet, white paper or whitepaper?

Subject: Re: data sheet or datasheet, white paper or whitepaper?
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: SB <sylvia -dot- braunstein -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 14:56:12 -0700

SB wrote:

> Also, someone wrote the following title: Documents location.
> I think it it should be "Document location" even though it is in plural
> because "document" becomes a general term. I was told that I am wrong? Any
> input regarding this issue?

Taken literally, I can't think of anything wrong wth it.

But if you tend to write as you speak, and to read as if listening to
spoken words, you might pick up on this ambiguity:

The documents location
The document's location

I agree that the first one is unusual, but I can't offer a traditional
rule-based reason for not using it.

Personally, as one who is possessed by the sound of words, I'd rather
sound out "document location" because I like the rhythm of it--do-q-ment
lo-k-shun--and also. that articulation requires a sort of sawing back
and forth in the mouth, making sounds alternately from the front the
back and middle of the bucchal cavity. (Try sounding out the syllables
yourself to see what I mean).

The alternative, with the final sibilant 'ts' before 'l', offer a little
bit of resistance to articulation, but worse, it breaks the rhythm.
That's what's wrong with it, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not prepared to state that this is why no one ever writes 'documents
location'--there could well be a real rule that goes beyond word play.

Have fun,

Ned Bedinger
doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList