UPDATE: Job-hunting help request

Subject: UPDATE: Job-hunting help request
From: "Barry Baldwin" <barry -dot- baldwin -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 16:58:00 -0400

Hi All,

Thanks very much to everyone who reviewed my resume and offered feedback. I
made several changes based on everyone's suggestions, and posted it to
dice.com . The next day, I got three phone calls offering contract
positions. In my current situation, a contract position is impossible, but
still, it was promising. Two days after posting, I got a call from a
recruiter with a full time position. I've gotten a few other phone calls
since then with less promising leads. But that is a lot more attention than
I was getting before. Very positive changes, and a great learning
experience.

It was interesting seeing what got a reader reaction and what did not. For
example, most readers disliked the paragraph format that I used to describe
my previous experience, even though I based that format on the seeming sound
advice from "The Elements of Resume Style" that bullets are slower to scan
because the eyes have to return to beginning of the line for every new
thought. Some suggested a Summary at the beginning, others suggested diving
straight into Work Experience.

I'm going to put together some kind of analysis of everyone's feedback to
offer some kind of consensus. Since tech writers are the written
communication professionals, there is a lot of good insight to be taken from
all this. I'll post to the list when I've had a chance to put together a
good summary of everyone's comments.

Again, thanks to every who offered their feedback, and I will share the
results shortly.
--
Barry Baldwin

Blog: