RE: Workplace issues

Subject: RE: Workplace issues
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "Caroline Tabach" <caroline -dot- tabach -at- gmail -dot- com>, <quills -at- airmail -dot- net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 08:50:32 -0400

On Behalf Of Caroline Tabach replied to Quills about being expected to
devote 100% of every waking, workday minute to work:

> And what about posts on this list, where, when discussing how writers
> find it hard to find out what is going on in R&D and people have said
> that they gain valuable information about what is going on in R&D by
> chatting to people in their coffee breaks?
> Even breaks where people seem to be idly chatting can be useful
>
> On 7/22/08, quills -at- airmail -dot- net <quills -at- airmail -dot- net> wrote:
> > I really find all this rather humorous, in a gallows humor sort of
way.

> > I will give value for what I am hired to do. However, expecting 100%
> > use of your time on the job from 8-5 is most unrealistic. No one,
not
> > even CEOs devote all of their time to the company during a day. You
> > are paid for your time, and to accomplish a job. That is all. The
> > concept that they own all of your time is ludicrous.
> >
> > Bathroom breaks? Breaks for rest? Clear your mind? Avoid repetitive
> > stress injuries?

I pick up some of the juiciest gems about what's going on with our
products from overhearing other people's conversations.

The most focused, effective, intense, go-getter-ish product managers and
others in this place talk about nothing except work-related stuff....
except when they're talking about sports. Oh, and kids. Oh, and TV.
And the in-house diet challenge... and...

If you've ever been on any of those "soft-skills" and "team-building"
workshops that companies used to inflict on their staff, they'd tell you
that getting ahead meant networking, networking, networking. At least
some of that has to be done on company time.

If your boss uses company e-mail and the intranet website to plan and to
co-ordinate the invitations and schedule for the barbeque at his place
(spouses invited), is that legit? Is it legit if you do the same? How
about if you try to organize a lunch-hour softball or soccer game?

If you are the sort of keep-to-yourself person who brushes off greetings
and attempts at conversation with a one-word grunt, you run the risk of
being labeled anti-social and un-promotable.

Back in the day, it was standard for most employees to have a
stock-price feed running across the tops of their screens. That was
never forbidden - it just kinda died out when stock options became not
worth watching.

Some people take on-line programming and biz courses and webinars. It's
cheaper and less disruptive than having them out-of-office at off-site
courses and seminars.

For health reasons, office workers are SUPPOSED to:
- get up and stretch and walk around every half hour or so (helps
prevent back and neck problems
- find distant objects to look at / focus on at frequent intervals, so
that their eyes have a chance to focus at varying distances, not just
the same screen distance all day (or, having SIRDS on-screen is
second-best)
There are lots more activities that either are sanctioned or are "don't
cares", as far as most employers are concerned. A lot of what's written
in some of the more employment policy documents is to allow some
ammunition for firing people who don't work out for other reasons.

By the way, haven't y'all heard?
"A writer is working even when s/he is staring into space."

- Kevin
or disclosing it.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList