RE: Setting up acronyms > and moving more to philosophy of such...

Subject: RE: Setting up acronyms > and moving more to philosophy of such...
From: "Hemstreet, Deborah" <DHemstreet -at- kaydon -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 09:17:44 -0400

I believe your approach is correct. However, as several people have
pointed out - this is hard to enforce.

What you could try is telling your engineers, how is it that engineers
with English as a second language get it right - and YOU don't!

When I was working in Israel, none of our Engineers "got it" until I
explained to them, in detail, what a proper noun is. The next thing you
know, they would be writing something up, and I would get these calls,
"is this a proper a noun?" and ask me why a term was or wasn't - and
from there they wrote well, and handled their acronyms better.

Having said that - I ***hate*** acronyms. I am so tired of reading
documents that talk about "The BDP is the standard behind the QMS,
assuring that all SOPs and QCIs are adhered to..." ARGH ACK

At my current place of work, I've implemented a template that requires a
list of special terms and acronyms, with a full definition, up front,
before you continue with the body of the document. The result? We are
now working on a terminology file that will eventually be disseminated
to all employees. We have discovered the SAME acronyms used for two or
three different things in different departments, and a lot of other
craziness.

I ***LOVE*** not using acronyms... I can finally remember what is being
talked about...

"The Bearings Division Policy is the standard behind the Quality
Management System, assuring that all standard operating procedures and
quality control instructions are adhered to..."

Have a great day!

Deborah

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList