Re: Initial Doc Focus: Concepts or Procedures?

Subject: Re: Initial Doc Focus: Concepts or Procedures?
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 08:08:06 -0700

In recent years I have noted a sort of downward evolution
in the development of test software that crosses my desk.

"Alpha" builds have little or no documentation and usually
are also missing large chunks of functionality.

"Beta" builds are closer to completion, and usually come
with very rough docs, not so that testers can use them, but
so that they can be reviewed and critiqued.

What I used to see presented as "beta" or "gamma" now
comes with an "rc" designation. It's only at this point that
either the product or its docs reach a "pretty much final"
state.

I'm seeing this heirarchy in the semiconductor, biotech,
telecom and aircraft industries, where software is usually
an accessory to or component of a larger, hardware-based
system. What's going on in companies where software is
the only product, I can't speak to.

Gene Kim-Eng