RE: USB switches & hubs

Subject: RE: USB switches & hubs
From: Fred Ridder <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: Sean Brierley <sbrierley -at- accu-time -dot- com>, Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 11:19:36 -0400

Sean Brierly wrote:

> Are you suggesting that you can plug any USB printer into a switch and
> it will be shared? Is the IP address of the switch enough--how does that
> work if the printer itself doesn't have an IP address?

Umm, USB doesn't use and knows nothing about IP addresses. I think you're
confusing Ethernet switches and USB switches.

A manual USB switch would be the cheapest solution to the problem, but
not very convenient because you have to manually switch between the
two computers when you want to print. An automatic USB switch is more
convenient, but is more expensive. But if there is already a LAN in existence
(either wired or wireless), it might be better to spend a few more dollars
and get a dedicated print server device (either wired or wireless) that
works via that existing network. Some are designed to use one of the
computers on the network and just provide the capability to address the
shared printer via a URL, while others are standalone units that connect
directly to the network (wired or wirelessly) on one side and to the printer's
USB port on the other side.Fred Ridder

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList